Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: HD-DVD vs. BluRay wars

  1. #11
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: HD-DVD vs. BluRay wars

    i'll agree with blue.. the ps3 and 1080i, is wow oh wow..

  2. #12
    Inactive Member duckmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2007
    Posts
    2,017
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: HD-DVD vs. BluRay wars

    personally i think 720p looks better than 1080i. however the 1080p that the ps3 can pull of blows them all out of the water. i really do wish the 360 had hdmi outputs.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: HD-DVD vs. BluRay wars

    720p vs. 1080i actually can depend upon what your watching which will look better.

    As for Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD, it is still a crap shoot as to who will win out. Although Blu-ray does offer more GB, they are not able to handle as much information because of the compression that they use. HD-DVD is able to fit more information into a 30GB space than that of the Blu-ray with 50GB.

    I like HD-DVD better myself, but both are good formats. The thing that helps Blu-Ray is that more of the movie manufacturers signed to go with them, so there should be more Blu-Ray titles out in the future than that of HD-DVD.

    Now, until Toshiba released the HD-XA2, HD-DVD could only do 1080i/720p, but this unit will allow HD-DVD to display a 1080p signal. Panasonic probably produces the best Blu-ray unit right now, but at least they all should be producing 1080p.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  4. #14
    Inactive Member duckmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2007
    Posts
    2,017
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: HD-DVD vs. BluRay wars

    does anybody know anything about these dvd players that upscale regular dvd's to hidef?

  5. #15
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: HD-DVD vs. BluRay wars

    Near HD.

    I've had two. A Toshiba DR-5 and a Sony DVP-NS75H. I had to return the Toshiba as it would rarely make it all the way through a movie without overheating. Sears didn't believe me and charged me a $30 restocking fee.

    Got the Sony, haven't had any problems. Great PQ. I don't know how upconverted it actually is. I have a hard time telling a difference between the dvd's I watch and the movies on HDNet or HBO HD.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  6. #16
    Inactive Member duckmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2007
    Posts
    2,017
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: HD-DVD vs. BluRay wars

    thats good. i have seen several of them and didn't know if they would be worth having or not. i just hate the thought of having to buy all my old dvds back in hd now. but i guess i wont have to now.

  7. #17
    Inactive Member Xcat22's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: HD-DVD vs. BluRay wars

    It is possible for formats to probably survive. LG has come out with a DVD player that plays both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray:

    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12760_7-9672294-5.html

    I myself working for Crutchfield have seen both formats on a 1080p TV, and I can honestly say, if someone thinks they can tell a difference in picture quality then they are full of it.

    Also, someone mentioned in an earlier post saying that Blu-Ray had higher disc storage capacity (50gb on a dual layer disc), well Toshiba created an HD-DVD that is a triple layer disc that holds 51gb.

    However, if one format does die, my prediction is it will be Blu-Ray fading away and HD-DVD emerging as champion. This is the same issue than came about before with VHS and Beta. Here are my reasons why:

    1) HD-DVD has better pricing.
    2) HD-DVD has more movies out, and most major movie production companies backing them.
    3) HD-DVD has most computer backers with them also. Like Microsoft, Intel, HP, and Toshiba.
    4) HD-DVD has hybrid disc of there movies that have the HD version on one side and the standard on the other. One my ask why this is important?? Simple, will you buy an HD-DVD player for every TV/room in your house? Most likely the answer is no, meaning your kids or other family members can watch the movie in another room if your watching TV on the HDTV that has the HD-DVD player hooked to it.
    5) Sony backs/created the Blu-Ray disc. Which is a death wish for the product. Anyone who has been around electronics for a while knows all too well what I'm talking about:
    Beta - DEAD, lost to VHS.
    MiniDisc - DEAD, lost to CD. Although you may find a mini disc player here and there being sold.
    MicroMV - DEAD, lost to MiniDV camcorders.
    DAT - DEAD, lost to the cassette tape. Partly because of copyright issues.
    Memory Stick(Pro, Duo, Pro Duo, M2, etc.) - only used in Sony cameras and camcorrders.
    SACD(Super Audio CD) - Might as well be dead. I'm sure some has never even seen one, let alone heard one. Wal-Mart used to sell a few but I haven't seen one up there in over a year.
    "I may not have been the greatest president, but I've had the most fun eight years." Bill Clinton

  8. #18
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: HD-DVD vs. BluRay wars

    [ QUOTE ]
    personally i think 720p looks better than 1080i. however the 1080p that the ps3 can pull of blows them all out of the water. i really do wish the 360 had hdmi outputs.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Speaking of this stuff, the XBOX 360 is supposed to get an "update" sometime later this year that allows for 1080p. I'm not sure how long the wait is going to be, though.

    EDIT -- Nevermind, the 1080p update has already been out! Christ, I'm way behind. I don't think there are many games that support it yet, though. I've heard NBA Street Homecourt (the new one) supposedly supports it but I'm not 100% positive.
    Officially retired

  9. #19
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: HD-DVD vs. BluRay wars

    You mentioned that HD-DVD has more studios on thier side.

    Last I checked every major production company was with blu-ray
    with the only exception being universal, and you can still get some of thier more popular movies on blu-ray.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •